Saturday, May 30, 2020

How To Whitewash A Fence


Ann Marie: Rhoda, it's your turn to do the ironing.
Rhoda: Why can't one of the boys do it?
Ann Marie: >snort< Can you really see one of them ironing?
Rhoda: Hmmm...

Luke: We're going out to play soccer.
Ezra: We'd love to hang out with you, but we know you've got ironing to do.  >Hee-hee<
Rhoda: That's okay, you boys really shouldn't be here anyway.  It's far too dangerous for you.

Oliver: ...wait, what do you mean 'too dangerous'?
Rhoda: Well, an iron is a very dangerous power tool.  You boys aren't old enough and responsible enough to use it without hurting yourselves.

Ezra: Hey!  We've used power tools before!
Luke: Yeah...we've used drills, sanders, and, uh...staplers!
Rhoda: Sure, but an iron is much more dangerous.  Besides, even if you did manage not to burn yourselves, you could never get the hang of ironing.  It requires far more 
skill and concentration than boys have.

Ezra: Oh yeah?  Wanna bet?
Rhoda: Well, I'd be willing to let you give it a try...if you really think you can do it.
I can always go over and fix the stuff you mess up; providing you don't scorch anything.
Ezra: Give me that iron!

Ezra: See? Look at this!
Rhoda: A napkin is the easiest thing in the world to iron.  Even those two could do it.
Luke and Oliver: Hey!
Ezra: Alright then, give me something more complicated.

Rhoda: Careful with those pleats.  Holly Belle will have a fit if you mess them up.
Ezra: Sshh!  You're disturbing my concentration!

Ezra: Ha! Perfect!
Luke: Hey, we wanna try, too!
Oliver: Yeah, give us a turn!

Luke: Watch me iron these underpants.
Oliver: Hey, save a pair for me!
Ann Marie: They'll eventually figure out what you're up to, you know.
Rhoda: Nah, they're already halfway through the basket.



4 comments:

Dee said...


Rhoda you minx! I love it ! What a sneaky... I mean clever young lady you are! Those boys have no idea just whats happened, lets hope they don't realise for a while.. you never know they may even offer to save you from that power tool in future... no? worth a try ;)
I wonder what else you can sucker.. I mean ask them to keep away from....

Sasha's Vintage Boutique said...

Rhoda, you are my hero!! Those boys were perfectly capable of doing their own ironing all along. I cannot believe you even got them to iron underpants....that might have been a bit too mean! lol! Don't ever tell them that you tricked them. I can see this applied to washing dishes, making beds, etc. There's just no end to the tricks you can play!

Serenata said...

Absolutely brilliant, I like the way you think! Wish I'd thought of this many years ago...although I suspect it still wouldn't have worked with my boys :D

Sharon said...

What a clever idea! Might have to keep this one in mind for future use.
x