Saturday, May 9, 2020

Stephen Orange Dreams Of Adventure

Daddy John: Stephen Orange is Gregoropolis's resident marine biologist.  His specialty is the whale shark, and he's written many an article for Sasha science journals.  However, he's been a bit restless lately; it seems as though he's lost his spark...

Stephen Orange >sigh<

Nicholas Sahara: Stephen, why so blue?  You've a face like a wet weekend.
Stephen Orange: Marine Biology doesn't seem to do it for me anymore.  I had high hopes for...well, anyway...and then I've been having the most extraordinary dream.
Nicholas: A dream?  Do tell me about it!

Stephen Orange: I'm sitting on a hill overlooking a sweeping alluvial plain.

Stephen Orange: I walk down the hill and cross the plain...

Stephen Orange: ...and come to the shores of a vast prehistoric lake.  I wonder what marvelous and terrible creatures dwell and gambol beneath its waves.

Stephen Orange: I turn around and suddenly I'm passing through a great stone canyon.  I come out of the canyon and before me...

Stephen Orange: ...lies a boundless valley.  In my dream its called the Naranja Valley.  At my feet, as far as the eye can see, are fossils!  Ammonites in infinite numbers, maybe even plesiosaurs!

Stephen Orange: I've been reading a lot about fossils lately, so that's probably an influence on my dreams.  But it must mean something, mustn't it?

Stephen Orange But even if I were able to determine if this 'Naranja Valley' actually exists, I'd never be able to go there.  Daddies say we can't really travel at this time.

Nicholas: There's a very learned chap named Joseph Campbell who says you've got to 'follow your bliss'; you've got to put yourself on the track that has been waiting for you all this time.  Perhaps this dream is telling you to live the life you ought to be living.

Stephen Orange Yes!  If I can't travel, I can research!  I can scour maps and locate this valley!  Then, one day, I will travel and discover fossils no one has ever discovered before!

Nicholas:  That's the Dunkirk spirit! As BR would say: 'Go get 'em, tiger!' 


4 comments:

Dee said...


You should always try to follow your dreams, Stephen Orange, even if you have to wait awhile until you can actually go out there looking.
That Valley looks Awesome !
and if you have done the research you will be well prepared for your adventure.

Sasha's Vintage Boutique said...

always good to do the research first to see if it can hold your interest! How appropriate that you dreamed of the naranja valley! I think it is clearly a place Stephen Orange should be drawn to!

Serenata said...

Definitely worth following your dreams, sometimes dreams really DO come true... your dreams look really interesting and fossils is something several members of Rose Cottage have a strong interest in! Have fun with your research.

Triciamj said...

Well it is certainly a change of direction, but while you can't travel you can research it and be sure it's the direction you want to go