Saturday, July 11, 2020

We're Whimsical

Daddy Steve: Holly Belle has been in very 'managerial' mood lately.

Nathan: That means she's feeling bossy!
Blake: And how!

Holly Belle: We've some nice furniture now, but we need more accessories.  We need more 
objects d'art.
Luke: Who is this Art and what is it he's objecting to?
Holly Belle: Oh, Luke, you exhaust me.

Holly Belle: Katy, be a dear and round up some nice little tchotchkes; sweet little vases and statues--whimsies!  Do you know what I'm talking about?
Katy: I suppose so...
Holly Belle: I want Gregoropolis to be so pretty that it could be on the cover of 
House Beautiful magazine.
Nathan: You'd have a better chance of getting on the cover of Fortean Times.

Holly Belle: Don't pay any attention to him. Have Sasha and Miguel help you; they know all about art and stuff.

Later...

Katy: She said we would know what she wants.
Miguel: But does Holly Belle even know what she wants?
Sasha: Let's start by looking around here.

If you dig deep enough, you can find just about anything in Gregoropolis.  It helps, of course, to be looking for something completely different than what you want.

Miguel: This is a nice little bird statue.
Katy: And look, a china dog!
Sasha: I wonder if we can find the mate.

And of course, there's always the internet!

Sasha: That's a pretty vase.
Miguel: Ooh, I like that...it has a 'southwestern' style.

It was through the course of their internet search that the kids discovered something our UK readers are sure to be familiar with.  Wade Whimsies are miniature figurines made by the Wade Ceramics Co.  As we understand it, they were sometimes offered as premiums in boxes of tea.  They are the perfect Sasha size!

Paul: Look at the tiny hippo!
Nathan: We saw one just like it last year in Cincinnati.  We even watched a video of her birth.  She shot outta her mom like a cannonball!
Paul: Wow, that's cool.
Gino: Neat!
Rolf: Yuck.

 Holly Belle was thrilled with all of her new whimsies.  She took great delight in
arranging them just so.

Holly Belle: It's all so perfect.  You know, I'm so good at inspiring people.  I could be a professional inspirer.  Is there such a thing?
Meghan: You could be the first, Holly Belle.
Nathan: You're sure inspiring me to leave the room!

4 comments:

Sharon said...

I remember these little Wade ornaments from my childhood. One year we had a box of Christmas crackers and every cracker had a different one inside! I wonder what happened to them? :)
And yes, they're the perfect size for the Sasha and Gregor kids :)
x

Dee said...


Wade Whimsies! I remember my mum collecting them from the tea company and other places when I was a child.
They are agreat size for Sasha's and gregors.

I so love boosy .. I mean professional inspirer Holly Belle... she certainly manges to get those kids doing things.
But the very last line of your post cracked me up ! I'm still smiling as I type! :)

Sasha's Vintage Boutique said...

..."shot out of her mom like a cannonball.....*snerk* *snerk* I am dying laughing here! Those wades are (were) from Red Rose tea. I think they stopping doing them a few years ago, unfortunately. I think Holly Belle really has an eye for decorating!!

NeverUschi said...

I used to have a little hippo just like this one - but I can't remember where it came from, neither where it went. Good chance it is still in the house, so I should give looking for something completely different a try....
Keep inspiring, Holly Belle! It's an art to get what you want by making others feel good.