Sunday, June 4, 2017

All About Lighthouses

Daddy Steve:  Ever since our Lake Superior/North Shore trip last month, the boys have been obsessed with lighthouses.  Children have such strong curiosities, which lead to very deep and intense interests--at least until something new comes along!

Right now, lighthouses are the big thing and they can't read enough about them!

Patrick: The Cape Hatteras light in North Carolina is the tallest lighthouse in the U.S.; 210 feet (64m) high.
Frank: It looks like a giant candy cane.
Sebastian: Look up German lighthouses now.

All of this lighthouse talk made me think of a book I had as a child; one that I remember being quite fond of.  It was part of a whole series of books on a wide variety of subjects.  After a quick online search, I was able to track down the book.  I found a very inexpensive copy on eBay and ordered it. 

(The Internet is a wonderful thing; you can basically buy back your entire childhood--for a price!)


I have a feeling that many of our U.K. readers will recognize this series.  It's quite an informative little book, with charming illustrations.  It has quickly become a favorite here in Gregoropolis.  The boys have practically memorized the whole thing!

Robin: The Pharos of Alexandria was an ancient lighthouse that was one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
Emile: Eet ees where 'phare,' ze French word for lighthouse, comes from.
Giancarlo: And the Italian word 'faro,' too.

Blake: The first Eddystone lighthouse off the coast of Devon was built in 1698.
Bowie: That's older than Daddy Steve and Daddy John combined!

Predictably, Mikko and Tyler are drawn to the adventure stories of 'Wreckers' who deliberately lured ships aground to plunder them.

Mikko: Wow, they were just like real pirates!

They also admire the courageous rescue efforts of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI).

Tyler: That sea is really rough! What a brave bunch of lads.



5 comments:

Angelo's Papa said...

I am in the same boat (pun intended) as the boys - I love lighthouses. But, I've never been inside one and I would love to have that experience. There is something mystical about them and mysterious. Keep studying, boys! PS: I laughed out loud when I read the comment about buying back one's childhood. I've had that experience on eBay. The only disturbing thing is that often the items from my childhood has listed under the "antiques" category!

Serenata said...

The Ladybird books really are great and we have quite a little collection of them ourselves...so watch out that they won't want more! I had to have a little giggle about the age of the lighthouse "That's older than Daddy Steve and Daddy John combined!" Love how children think, that is exactly right!

Gregor Daddies said...

I certainly thought that way as a child. I remember starting second grade. I came home from my first day, and my mother asked about my new teacher. I said she was very nice, and then after careful consideration I said "I think she's in her early 80's" (she was probably only around 40 at the time!)

Dee said...


I'm not surprised the boys love Lighthouses are their trip. They are fascinating things. Ladybird books were the staple diet of British children for years, such wonderful informative books at a reasonable price.

I own quite a few as a child and my children did too, now I think we have about three left, amazing what you give away in search of space!

Your boys are so true to life ;)

And yes the internet is a great place to buy back ones childhood , I've bought a few readers from there.. oh the memories :)

NeverUschi said...

I don't think the Ladybird books were ever translated into German, at least I never noticed them as a child - and our family used to carry at least four large bags of books out of the public library each month.
We had "Was ist was", translated from a series called Wonder Books. I loved the one on planets and of course on horses - but I still have no idea why my parents gave me "Insects"!