Sunday, November 6, 2022

Days and Ways

 Daddy Steve:  The internet is the ultimate 'Wayback Machine.'  If you're willing to waste spend the time, you can recover-and purchase-anything from your past.  

It was 50 years ago this fall that I started school, and I have been feeling reflective.  These reflections eventually turned to my 1st grade reading textbook.  One thing led to another, and before I knew it, a copy arrived in the mail.  For a 54-year-old textbook, it's in surprisingly pristine condition; much nicer than my original Minneapolis Public Schools copy was back in the day.



Dan Ryan: Since it's from Daddy Steve's school days, I would have thought it 
would've been printed on vellum, or mammoth hide or something.
Carolyn: You know, it's actually the same age that we are.

Dan Ryan: Yes, but we're eternally young.
Carolyn: True.

It's interesting to look at something you haven't seen for decades.  I was struck by the illustrations; their quiet, understated charm and humanism (remind you of anyone?).  They're so different from the rather aggressive, garish designs and graphics aimed at kids nowadays.




James: They look like us!
Daphne: Yes, beautiful!

The cover art always appealed to me--all of that busy energy.  I was not a suburban kid; I grew up right in the middle of a big city, so that milieu was familiar to me.


Colin: Gosh, where do you suppose all those people are going?
Daisy: Probably home to they can read our blog.

On the subject of reading, it's amazing to think that when my classmates and I started first grade, we were all more or less illiterate.  By the end of the year, we could read anything in this book.  So much ground to cover!  The next time you talk to a 1st grade teacher, be sure to say 'thank you.'

Paul: Thank you, teachers!
Rolf: Ja, danke!

Nanny Wendy: You'll love learning to read, Mikey!
Mikey: More than cookies?




3 comments:

Dee said...


The internet doesn't just let us waste time, it can also let us go back in time to those innocent school days and find the things we remember.
I too found some old reading books from my infant school days and yes also in lovely condition, so nostalgic looking at those books that helped us to read.

My granddaughter's just started school, so I will see what they use to teach children these days. But probably like everything else in life they will have moved on, because even when it's not broke someone just has to 'fit' it to their way.
I loved your Sasha children joining in and I'm sure all those people were rushing home to read your blog.

RoRoPo said...

What a lovely book! Very kind and tender illustrations, indeed. And at the end of your first year you have been able to read everything in that book?
I remember that I also was able to read like this at the end of my first year in school. And this happened in the mid-seventies.
Just last week I read that today at the end of the fourth year in school, about a quarter of the kids in Germany are not able to read and write properly. What a shame! And I can't believe children today are more stupid now.
So something must have gone wrong very badly.
Maybe we should return to those old school books?

Sasha's Vintage Boutique said...

such a sweet, sentimental journey! Reading is truly the key to all learning, no exceptions. The keys to the kingdom, as it were. I am amazed you could remember this book and were able to find it.