Thursday, November 1, 2018

Día de los Muertos


Miguel: ¡Hola, amigos!

Miguel: ¡Lo siento!  I did not mean to frighten you!  Here in Gregoropolis, we are celebrating Día de los Muertos or, as you would say, Day of the Dead.  It is a holiday celebrated throughout my homeland of México.  Me gusta celebrar con una máscara de calavera...I like to celebrate wearing a skull mask.

Miguel: For Día de Muertos, we gather together to remember family and friends who have died and support them on their spiritual journey.  But that does not mean we cannot have fun, too!    Calaveras y esqueletos (skulls and skeletons) are a common symbol of the celebrating!  Oh, and there are candy skulls to share, too!  I know mi hermano Frank will like that.

Miguel: Also to celebrate, I built an ofrenda for mi abuelo.  It is an altar to honor my late grandfather.  We decorate the ofrenda with things related to the deceased person: their favorite belongings and food and snacks.

Miguel: He was a very good handyman, so I put out his favorite hammer & nails.  He liked to watch NASCAR and Minnesota Twins baseball and play cards, so those hobbies are represented.  Also, his favorite drinks and snacks. I hope he likes it.

Miguel: ¡Feliz Día de los Muertos!  




3 comments:

Sasha's Vintage Boutique said...

Hola Miguel! Como esta? we have a lot of Dia de los Muertos celebrations here, even parades! It's the best way to honor those who have passed, IMHO. No sadness and long faces...just celebration! Looks like your abuelo would love that display! He was probably a fun guy!

Dee said...


That is a very interesting post you have given us Miquel.
I had not heard of these celebrations for the dead and it sounds like a lovely way to honour and remember all those we loved that have passed on.

And I am all in favour of a good party ! ;)

Ginger said...

Thank you Miguel for educating us about this special observance of your dearly departed loved ones. All Souls day is celebrated on November 2nd in our church and we remember our departed loved ones too. I like that you place things that were meaningful to them as you honor and remember them. Gracias Miquel. 😊 xxx